Monday, March 1, 2010

Oink's Sneaky Delivery & RIP

Oink, a Peruvian Cross  has been housed with Gus, my Full long-haired Peruvian, since July 2009 and not a single thing has happened. No afternoon delight noises, no tail waggling or dancing - no sign of a successful mating whatsoever. So I just kept them together as cage buddies and anything else that happened would be a bonus.

So imagine my surprise when I recently discovered Oink heavily pregnant! She's always been a tad on the obese side, so the only reason I detected a pregnancy was her usually squishy stomach had become quite firm and bloated. I had no idea when she would be due, but I thought from her size she would have about another month to go.

But she gave birth to two stillborns on 26 February, 2010. She was very quiet and was obviously mourning the loss of her little piglets. I could see where she had attempted to "wake" one of them by chewing it's foot.
I was so sad for her.

The follwing day I went out to exhibit Aldo at the Show and came home to find Oink had  just died, from what I suspect was a haemorrhage.  It was an unexpected blow, to lose all three piggies so close together.

I don't know what went wrong, but Oink was a feisty pig who knew what she wanted. She called all the shots in that cage. If she didn't want Gus near her, she let him know.

I hope she can now RIP with her babies.

:(

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP